Sunday, May 12, 2013

Carrots (Hopefully)

Yesterday, we planted our community garden plot. It's about a block away from our house (though we have to cross a busy four-lane street with no light or crosswalk to get there). This is the second year I've had this plot, but the first year I've had Kyle to help. Last summer, he was working at a camp in Wisconsin, and left to my own over-eager devices, I just kind-of shoved lots of seeds in my 6 x 2.5-foot plot. I ended up with some Brussels sprouts, lots of lettuce and kale, a pretty decent tomato yield and a bounty of herbs. Other things didn't do so well, especially my carrots.

Determined to have a more successful garden this year, we planned, plotted, purchased, measured, marked and planted. 


Everything has enough space to grow — and maybe even thrive.

While we didn't start with as much as I did last year, I'm pretty sure our harvest will be more plentiful. Over the next few months, we should have various herbs, lettuce, kale, broccoli, Japanese eggplant, Brussels sprouts, peppers, green beans, tomatoes and carrots (hopefully).

No comments:

Post a Comment