Tuesday, June 4, 2013

My Morning Smoothie


When it comes down to it, this blog is really just a wordy attempt at getting my shit together. While it starts with a strict commitment to financial responsibility, my hope is that it will encourage me to be more deliberate about all aspects of my life. In fact, I don't really see how I can separate frugality from living deliberately, because gone are the days of grabbing takeout when I haven't planned dinner, or spending $12 on my daily salad (that's $240 a month and the first time I've ever done that math).

This morning, after a quick outdoor run/walk that made me realize just how out of shape I am, and how much work I have to do if I am going to get my ass across the finish line of the October half marathon I signed up for last month (on the half-price registration day, of course) I spent half an hour in the kitchen. Yes, I'm terrible at mornings, but I made the time… and was only 10 minutes late to work today.

Anyway, I made myself some lime water in mason jars and put them in the fridge for the next few mornings, I made a salad with lettuce from my garden, and I made myself a beautiful pink smoothie.

Even before I started this frugality project, I was pretty good about making myself a morning smoothie, at least a few days a week. Now that I'm not making it rain every time I need to eat lunch, it's much more important to eat (or drink) breakfast.

Though the color varies a bit every day depending on the type and quantity of berries I use, this smoothie is my favorite because it's full of nutrients but tastes, well, not like one of those disgusting smoothies that's full of nutrients. I think I'm being a bit more generous with my berries lately since my last berry haul came from Aldi. They're not organic, so I'm probably ingesting some pesticides, but they're affordable and they taste great.

Here's what I put in my morning smoothie (including the pesticide berries):
  • 3 kale leaves (with stems) or a handful of spinach (you can freeze your own)
  • One apple (with skin), cut into about 8 pieces
  • About a half-cup of frozen berries (you can also use fresh berries, but the frozen ones make the smoothie cold) 
  • A heaping teaspoon of whatever nut butter you have on hand 
  • A cup or so of unsweetened almond milk (I did find organic almond milk at Aldi!) or coconut milk
I blend my morning smoothie in the NutriBullet. (I may or may not have purchased it at target.com last year after seeing the infomercial while lounging on the couch with a bottle of wine around 2 am. It should be noted that unlike the people in the infomercial, the NutriBullet hasn't caused me to lose a bunch of weight or spend more time with my grandchildren, but it pulverizes frozen berries, so I'm happy.) It's great if you're making one or two smoothies, and compared to a VitaMix, the NutriBullet's $99 price tag doesn't seem so bad. It's much better than the $16 individual blender I bought at Target the previous year, and it's super easy to clean.

Maybe NutriBullet should hire me to do its next infomercial. Then I can go back to my organic berries.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. "When it comes down to it, this blog is really just a wordy attempt at getting my shit together."

    Hear, hear. Blogging, or even just private journaling, can be such a delightfully reflective activity. I grow so much more when I'm spending that time reflecting upon my life every so often.

    Thanks for writing this blog! I found you a few weeks ago googling around for leather tote bags (which is hilarious to me given the context of your thoughts on such items) but am so glad I stumbled across your blog! I'm hoping to steal so many ideas from you. Lime water in mason jars?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, ELJ. I just got back from a long vacation in Chicago and will get back to posting very soon!

    ReplyDelete